Monday 13 May 2013

You're a Wallflower. You see things and you understand them.

I just finished reading this book. It's called 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower'. The book's quite depressing, actually. At least if you're going through a transforming phase anyway. But it's nice, in an eerie way. 
People have probably seen the movie. It's good. Never as good as the book of course. 
They say it's a book about coming off age. But I don't think so. It's just about a 16-year-old boy, Charlie. His English teacher, Bill, gives him books to read and that secretly makes me wish that someone gave me books like that, you know. I think it makes a book a tad bit more interesting if someone has asked you to read it. But then again, perspective matters. 
There are these lines in the books. Some that really can be felt deeply at an instance. Like when Bill tells Charlie that 'We accept the love we think we deserve.' And then there are instances where Charlie simply says that 'in that moment I felt infinite'. I'm still trying to figure out what that means. I mean, I could explain it in terms of words but I think I am just searching for that feeling. It sounds special. 
Then there is this thing Charlie says, 'Even though we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from here.' 
As of now, I want to read the book again. I don't know if I will but I want to. 
It's an epistolary novel. Charlie writes these letters to some pen pal he doesn't know. So basically, it's just Charlie's insight of the entire world. He's a character portrayed more taciturn and socially awkward. Yet emotionally strong. Even though he cries a lot. It's inspiring. 
Weirdly, I could relate to it. Not that I feel exactly the way he does. But it's just that if I had to write that way, to somebody far off, somebody who would have an equivocal perspective to my thoughts, I think I would write that way. I think that's how I would sound. Digging in to every single detail and penning it down. 
We can't all pay attention to every detail, right? But I think subconsciously we all do. I mean, it's just a thing. Like if you had to select an ice-cream flavour, you'd go to the shop, pick up one and walk out but then the next day somebody decided to bombard you with the unrealistic nightmare of writing an essay on why you chose the particular ice-cream flavor. You'd be able to do it. Suddenly reasons would manifest like crystals in front of your eyes. So I guess, we notice a lot and understand simultaneously. We just have these walls we've truly build, for the sake of hypocrisy. 
That's what I choose to believe anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment